About the NCA
The National Caves Association is a non-profit trade association founded in 1965 by a small group of private show cave owners. These initial members sought to bring together show cave owners and operators from across the United States to promote the show cave industry to the public, to share information and ideas, and to lobby for legislation favorable to the show cave industry.
Over the years the Association has become more than an industry trade organization, it has become an association of friends and colleagues willing to share ideas and information and to lend a helping hand when needed. The membership has grown from those few early members to over 80 show caves located across the U.S., Bermuda and Barbados.
For the past 50 years members of the Association have gathered at different locations across the United States and Bermuda for an annual convention. It is during the annual convention that the members renew old acquaintances, makes new friends, shares ideas, information and experiences, and learn from one another about the challenges and triumphs and the failures and successes of operating a show cave. The annual convention is one of the most eagerly anticipated events of the year and for many members the greatest benefit of membership.
The National Caves Association has been very active in promoting cave visitation, developing affordable cave insurance programs, helping develop and implement industry standards on alpha radiation in caves, educating the public on White Nose Syndrome (WNS), a sometimes fatal illness that has decimated large parts of bat populations in the eastern United States, and has become a repository of information on a wide variety of topics related to the show cave industry.
Purpose of the NCA
- Promoting public interest in and attendance at Show Caves;
- Promoting public education and awareness with respect to the conservation and preservation of all caves, including without limitation Show Caves;
- Conducting public relations efforts with respect to matters that are germane to the conservation and preservation of all caves, the operation of Show Caves, and the safety and enjoyment of Show Caves;
- Encouraging membership and participation in the Association;
- Identifying and addressing issues pertinent to managing, operating and/or owning Show Caves;
- Promoting methods of operation of Show Caves that enhance business performance, safety, and the conservation and preservation of Show Caves;
- Promoting and supporting legislation that provides for the conservation and preservation of caves, including without limitation Show Caves, and promote and support legislation that provides for favorable business conditions for Show Caves;
- Presenting information and articulating the Association’s position to government agencies with respect to matters that are germane to the conservation and preservation of all caves, the operation of Show Caves, and the safety and enjoyment of Show Caves;
- Conducting annual conventions and educational seminars for members in furtherance of the Association’s purpose;
- Implementing industry guidelines for Show Caves;
- Compiling, preserving, and publishing cooperative data (technical and promotional) with respect to Show Caves;
- Promoting and encouraging the development of a spirit of cooperation, courtesy, and respect among managers, operators, and owners of Show Caves; and
- Compiling, developing, publishing and distributing information of pertinence to the Show Cave industry.